Prepping for the Week Ahead


Tonight’s supper of field peas, roasted okra and garlic and caramelized onions.

I was fairly lazy cooking last week other than my Monday cooking start that I wrote about. It was too hot. I was too lazy. I wasn’t in the mood. Most of all, I worked until 7 or 7:30 every night last week. By the time I got home, I just wanted to walk Ashok and grab a bowl of cereal. I should have cooked some things ahead of time, but I was discombobulated with my weird schedule.

So, this afternoon I wanted to cook up some things for the week. I’ve decided I need to start tracking what I eat again for a while. I was reading in last months Runner’s World how several people had lost a ton of weight, and they attribute to the fact that they blogged about their regimen AND tracked their food intake online. I don’t necessarily want to lose weight, but without my coach on the payroll anymore, I need a little more accountability. I like the MyFitnessPal app for tracking food and exercise. August has been too hot, and it’s made me lazy. It’s no excuse, but it’s the one I have. I’ve also not been sleeping so well. Part of it is due to the heat. My other excuse is that I re-introduced caffeine in the form of green tea into my diet in the mornings for the last week and a half. My acupuncturist said I should see if it would ramp up my anxiety like coffee, so I tried it. By Friday, I realized that I was starting to feel more anxious, and my sleep was being affected more and more each evening. So, I stopped it on Saturday. I’m not feeling the withdrawals as bad as with coffee, but I am feeling it. But, by this evening, I’m feeling much better, and my energy seems to be coming back. So, I’ve been cooking and applying flea treatment and washing all of the bedding and rugs in my house for the last few hours. I’ve been like a whirling dervish.

My okra, garlic and peppers before I roasted them.
My okra, garlic and peppers before I roasted them.

I opened my refrigerator drawer and realized I had bought onions at the farmers’ market two weeks in a row. I didn’t remember that I had bought them week before last, and I bought another box. So, I decided to caramelize some purple onions and a few sweet onions in some olive oil and butter with my Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset herbal seasoning. My friend Jean Ann – who has lost 20 pounds as of this week – told me last week that she had been roasting okra in the oven. I had some okra that would be going bad soon if I didn’t cook it, so I sliced it up, tossed it with some olive oil, sea salt and pepper, and added some whole garlic and a few chopped peppers. I roasted it all in the oven at 400 for about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 to 20 minutes. I also took some field peas out of the freezer that I had previously cooked with some sausage and heated that up. I had an all veggie supper that was delicious. And, I have enough veggies left over for at least two more meals.


Roasting the onions. I can use them on a roast beef sandwich this week!

I’ve started drinking a medicinal tea called Nighty-Night in the evenings, and it is made up of chamomile, linden flower, catnip, lemongrass and a few other choice herbs. I guess the catnip is really obvious because Bella is going insane trying to get my tea. The other night she spilled my cup because she was rubbing up against it. Tonight, I had to hide it from her until she gave up. I caught her the other day rolling on top of the dried tea bag from the night before. Buster meanwhile is trying to deal with flea issues. I found quite a few on him tonight, so I gave both cats some of the CapStar that I gave Ashok yesterday. It kills off the fleas that are on them, but as the fleas start to die they apparently run around like crazy, so the animals feel like they are crawling with bugs. Ashok was itching like crazy yesterday, and Buster is irritated in the same way this evening. I couldn’t find but one on Bella, so, for some reason, she’s not attracting them like the other two. I hope I can get this under control pretty quickly. Since they are on the monthly preventative that keeps the eggs from hatching, this shouldn’t be too big of a deal. I’d hate to know I was just throwing away that money on something that doesn’t work. Time will tell.

My nighty-night tea and Bella’s drug of choice.


I slept great last night after having no caffeine, and I dreamed like crazy. I’m hoping for a repeat tonight. I hope to have my energy back this week so that I can get to the gym in the evenings. I did notice that my energy was really low by the end of the workday after drinking the caffeine in the mornings last week. I’m just really sensitive to it. If I don’t have it in the mornings, my energy usually stays pretty level during the day, and by the evenings I have plenty of energy for working out. I see my acupuncturist Tuesday, too, so that should give me a burst of energy. I’m looking forward to tracking my food this week. I’m actually not going to change my eating much. I just want to track it so I can figure out how I’m doing in the calories in/out ratio. I know I ate too much ice cream this weekend, but I tracked it today anyway. After eating all of those onions and whole garlic tonight, I won’t be kissing anybody early in the week, but that’s probably not a big problem anyway. Y’all have a good week.



Talk to me, please...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: